The Chicago Midwest Chapter of the National Association for Surface Finishing represents the merger of two long-standing industry organizations: the AESF Chicago Branch and the Chicago Metal Finishers Institute.
The surface finishing industry in Chicago got its start in the 1850's. Records show that less than ten companies were doing business in the city as of 1858. By the turn of the century, 1900, the industry had grown to more than ten companies and continued to grow through the following years. It was during this dawn of the 20th Century that groups of industry members began discussing the formation of formal organizations to represent their collective business needs and concerns.
The AESF Chicago Branch was formed by Percy S. Brown and others and held its first meeting in May of 1912. From the Inagural Address of Colonel J.H. Jansjasten, first President of the Chicago Branch, the purpose of the Chicago Branch was:
In 1935, another organization was born that would become known as the Chicago Metal Finishers Institute. CMFI membership was represented by management leadership in the field of job shop metal finishing. Their purpose was:
Both groups continued to operate through the beginning of 2015. Due to the desire for a unified industry group for surface finishing in the Chicagoland area, in early 2015 the AESF Chicago Branch and CMFI merged and created a new entity, the Chicago Midwest Chapter of the NASF.
In concurrence with this merger, the Chicago AESF Foundation was created in 2014. Funded initially by the resources of the Chicago Branch of AESF, the Foundation will preserve the heritage and achievements and build upon the great history of an educational society which has been functioning for more than 100 years in the Greater Chicago area.
Copyright © Chicago Midwest Chapter of NASF.